Amazon.com

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Getting unstuck - creating forward momentum

In a couple of previous posts, I expressed a few of my current financial frustrations. I have felt "stuck" financially, especially after a devastating tax season, not receiving my stimulus check yet, and unexpected emergency-type expenses. Now that my family is debt free, I feel like I'm having a "wilderness" type experience; a time of testing to see if the Jones family is really committed to being debt free and building wealth over the long haul. I find myself wavering, beating my head against the wall trying to get the financial log jam broken so we can move forward in our family's finances.

I have faith and belief that we will move out of our current financial state soon, but I'm doing some things right now to hopefully get momentum moving along faster. Here's what we're doing:
  1. My wife felt that she needed to go back to work part-time to help pay for some of our current unexpected expenses. She started that job about a week and a half ago.
  2. Yesterday, I ordered 4 books from Amazon.com that I really want to read some books to help get me "unstuck," mentally. The books I ordered were: The 4-Hour Workweek, Get Unstuck! The Simple Guide to Restart Your Life, Seven Practices of Effective Ministry, and Creating Customer Evangelists: How Loyal Customers Become a Volunteer Sales Force.
  3. Over the last 2 days, I have been putting together a picture needs and goals chart; I'm trying to get clear in my mind what our financial priorities are for the remainder of 2008.
  4. Since it's the end of the month, I will be working on our June budget. I plan on having my wife work with me on seeing what we can trim out of our budget, and I plan to share with her my needs/goals picture chart. I'd like to post multiple copies of this around the house as reminders to us on what we want to accomplish right now.

Tomorrow, I'll post the list of these picture needs and goals that we will be working toward through the rest of 2008.

No comments: